Monday, January 21, 2008

why I love snowboarding so darn much

I'm not even sure what exactly it is about snowboarding that makes me enjoy it so much. Is it the numbness of my fingers and toes? Is it the feeling of my head slamming into the hard, frozen ground? Or could it be the thrill of a close encounter with a tree?
I may never fully understand what motivates me to strap both feet to a slippery board and attempt to maneuver down a snowy mountain. All I know for sure is, when I hit the slopes, I find myself having an unreasonable amount of fun. I walk around the resort with a big goofy grin. I chat with people on the lift. If I'm going up the lift alone, I swing my legs, whistle (weather permitting), and take in the scenery.
When I'm on my board, all I'm thinking about is riding. I'm in the moment. If my mind starts to wander, I'm liable to wipe out, so in fact I have to be in the moment. In general I am not very good at being in the moment, so I welcome the opportunity.
Most of the time, I am out there alone. For most people, skiing and snowboarding are social activities, but at this stage of life my husband and I have to take turns watching the kids. I don't mind. The thing is, I am so rarely alone that it is a real treat for me to have the time to myself. Time to think, to relax, to focus on something that has nothing to do with my day-to-day life.
The other aspect is, learning something new is hard. Accomplishing something hard is satisfying.

1 comment:

kiwicha said...

i love snowboarding too!! but i wish i was a better rider :(
im from Dubai and i learned snowboarding in an indoor ski resort.