Thursday, January 1, 2009

4WD rocks

When we lived in Denver, you didn't need 4WD or chains to go up to the mountains. Maybe that's why, at 7 a.m. on any weekend day during ski season, I-70 is a parking lot. Everyone creeps along, slowing down every time there is a curve in the road, slowing down even more when the road goes from two lanes to one. Drivers of large pickup trucks cut you off just because they can. It isn't pleasant.

My first experience driving up to Tahoe from the Sacramento area was nothing like that. I got up extra early and left while it was still dark. There was a lot more traffic coming the other way, people commuting to work in the city. I saw very few cars heading my direction. The chain restrictions surely have something to do with that. I was glad to have 4WD so I could pass on through without messing with chains.

Next time, I might not leave quite so early. I will definitely take the time to stop for a Starbucks before I head out. Well worth it.

At Sierra-at-Tahoe, I had a front-row parking spot, drank some brewed coffee and a lot of water, and got in line before the lift opened.

It got busy later in the day, and the line got pretty long, but in the future more lifts and runs will be open, so that'll help.

I like this resort. It's very laid-back, unpretentious...in fact, there is very little in terms of facilities. But the runs seem good, and there is a lot of variety, something for every level. Perfect for someone like me, because I go purely to ride. As long as there is a bathroom, and something to eat and drink available, I'm good.

I don't look cool when I'm snowboarding. I FEEL cool, but I don't delude myself. I look like a dork. I don't care.

As usual, I didn't really feel that excited about snowboarding until I actually started riding. Then I was having the time of my life. The best part was, I had been in kind of a funk, feeling down about the state of the world. I started down the hill, still with the weight of all these issues and problems resting on my shoulders and clouding my mind.

Then I went flying through the air, landed on my back, with my head facing downhill. My goggles and hat flew off, and I had snow down the back of my pants.

Oh, yeah. I forgot that when I snowboard I have to think about snowboarding, especially when I'm getting warmed up. In fact, that's the thing I love most about it. I am never more "in the moment" as when I am on the slopes. Because if I'm not focused, I end up on my butt.

Good things about Tahoe: Apparently it doesn't get as cold as it does in Colorado. Great powder. Less traffic (at least, I hope that will continue to be true--I'm still going to leave early so I can get back early).

No comments: